The Brazilian followers of the evangelical religion are part of a group that moves their own market of religious the camisa gospel cruz clothing articles and products tailor made for them. In this group is the evangelical fashion niche, also known to shopkeepers as “behaved fashion,” whose target audience are women and men who seek elegance, sophistication, style and comfort in a behaved look.
In 2010, Brazil had 42 million evangelicals, equivalent to 22% of the Brazilian population according to the Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics (IBGE). The number is expected to grow 39% by 2020.
This growing landscape has attracted many entrepreneurs, including the fashion industry. Faced with an audience that has specific characteristics of consumption and style due to demands made by the church, evangelical fashion emerges as a business opportunity.
Know below the main characteristics, differentiation strategies, scenarios and perspectives for the ‘pregnant fashion’ niche market. The information comes from the publication Nichos de Moda, launched by Sebrae last month.
Today, evangelical youth and adults want to be fashionable. For women the goal is to be discreet and behaved, but using colors and prints within the trends of fashion. Everything is allowed as long as it has no daring neckline, transparencies or skirts and dresses too short. Some churches also do not allow the use of pants.
For men, who also seek discretion, suit, social shirt, social shoe and tie are indispensable articles. However, prints and colors are not part of the visual. The choice is for neutral colors like white, black, brown and gray, which bring more seriousness. For those fans of a more basic look, jeans, T-shirt or polo shirt; and on the feet, a sapatane.
Scenery and perspective
The largest concentrations of evangelicals are in the extreme north of the country, more specifically in Amazonas (19.2%), Roraima (23.6%), Acre (20.4%) and Rondônia , conducted by IBGE. Rio de Janeiro (21.1%), Espírito Santo (27.5%) and Goiás (20.8%) also have large concentrations.
For those who want to invest in this market, it is important to be aware of the movement of this segment that, in addition to attracting evangelicals, has been attracting an audience of non-evangelical women who prefer to wear more befitting clothes. Experts say that about 10% of consumers in this niche are not evangelicals. As clothing usually covers shoulders and legs, many women who wear large sizes and who, regardless of being evangelical do not like to show their arms, for example, have resorted to models of this type of fashion. Women of other Orthodox religions are also potential consumers. Reaching this audience thus becomes an opportunity.
- Create ways to understand your customer, looking for what they want at the time of purchase, as well as understanding their behavior on a daily basis;
- Provide clothing that uses sophisticated materials, with quality in the finish, good modeling and in the fashion trends;
- Be aware of the characteristics of the clothing of this public: skirts at most a little above the knee, the sleeves should cover the shoulders and the neckline should cover the lap. Transparencies are always used with overlays to some other piece;
- Visiting events, subscribing to specialized magazines and websites is necessary to keep up with fashion trends;
- Be aware of the structure of the point of sale, which must be set up according to the characteristics of this public;
- Diversify the sales channel, e-commerce can be an excellent sales channel opportunity for this audience;
- Take care of the service and the language, because some compliments are characteristic of the evangelical public. This should extend to your employees;
- Invest in word of mouth advertising, especially in churches.